Sunday 18 November 2012

Interview with DJ Shaw

Today I had the pleasure of interviewing author DJ Shaw. She is responsible for short stories in Grim Vengeance, Sinister Seductions and more. And soon to be released Wiccan Lies. You definitely need to get in on her work, she is amazing. Read more about here in the following interview:




1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was about 15 when I decided that I wanted to be a writer. My 8th grade Creative Writing/English teacher took great interest in my creative writing assignments and encouraged me to continue with it.

2. How long does it take you to write a book?
It took me eight years (give or take a year) to finish my novella “Wiccan Lies”. My short stories take me about 3-4 days (if RL doesn’t interfere much lol).

3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I have a day job for about four-five hours a day, so I don’t usually get any writing done or even get on the computer during the week until around eight at night until about midnight. My weekends are free from the day job but I have five children so I try to do as much writing as I can on Saturdays and Sundays during the day, as well as at night.

4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I chair dance. I know that may sound weird but I listen to music more often than not when I’m writing and if a good song comes on and I’m stuck in a particular scene, I will dance in my chair until I get past it.

5. How do books get published?
Well, I’m still pretty new to this whole published thing, but the best way I know how to explain the process is this: You write it, edit it, revise it if needed, submit to many publishing companies/publishers and wait to find out if it will be accepted. After that I’m kind of lost. I was fortunate to come across an amazing independent publishing company, Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly when I was researching and looking for places to submit “Wiccan Lies”. I hadn’t finished my manuscript yet so I knew I couldn’t submit it to anyone yet, so I submitted for two of their anthologies and my stories were accepted. I also submitted a story to Hot Ink Press (an Imprint of CH&BB) for one of their anthologies and it was also accepted. These anthologies are available now on Amazon: “Sinister Seductions”, “Darkest Desires” and “Grim Vengeance”. I have a total of four short stories out there right now.

6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
Information for my books, I do research on certain aspects of my stories and books.
Ideas I get everywhere. If someone says something I feel is interesting, instant idea. Or I can see a certain picture that will get my creative juices flowing and give me ideas as well.

7. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I started writing “Wiccan Lies” when I was about 26 years old. But I have been writing poetry and short stories for longer than that. I just hadn’t been brave enough to show the world until recently. Usually only close friends and family had seen my work.

8. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
 I like to read, dance and sing. I like to play with my five kiddos as well when I’m not writing

9. What does your family think of your writing?
My family is a huge support for my writing. They are all very happy to see me doing what I have been striving to do for a few years now. Writing is something of a passion for me and I can’t ever imagine myself NOT writing

10. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
The depths of my imagination. I knew that I had a very vivid imagination but I didn’t know that I could dig so deep as to write some pieces that I never thought I could. Two of these pieces are in “Grim Vengeance” and that is when I learned that I could be just as dark and scary as I could be romantic and erotic.


AUTHOR BIO:  Picture DJ Shaw belongs to the part of the Unseelie Sidhe that lives in Albuquerque, NM with her husband, The Vengeance Demon, Terminal, the beast who stole her heart, and together they have spawned five children.  She loves to write about her experiences of her Dark Brethren, and some of her own.  Please enjoy some of her adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment